- Which is a better investment, remodeling a kitchen or a bathroom?
- What are the different types of bathtubs?
Which is a better investment, remodeling a kitchen or a bathroom?
Both kitchen and bathroom remodels are good investments because the costs are often recovered when selling your house. If you’re not sure whether to invest in a kitchen or bathroom, consider which will provide the most enjoyment and utility to you and your family while you’re still there. To optimize your return on investment, and to avoid over-building or under-building in relation to the value of your house, a good guideline for a kitchen remodeling budget is around 15% home’s value. For a master bathroom, a good guideline is 10% of the home’s value.
What are the different types of bathtubs?
When remodeling your bathroom, choosing a new bathtub is one of the more exciting decisions. It is your opportunity to replace your old, uncomfortable tub with something larger, more convenient, or having more comfort features.
- Bathtubs can be installed in two ways: freestanding or built-in. Freestanding tubs offer several styles for the sleek or classic look you prefer. Built-in tubs can be common tub/shower combination or a more modern style with additional features.
- Enameled cast iron bathtubs are probably the best type of tub available. Their construction and finish is very durable, however, they are also quite heavy. To match the durability of cast iron, without the heaviness, you may want to consider a fiberglass reinforced acrylic tub. Some tubs are made solely of fiberglass, but they tend to have a less durable finish.
- Steel is also a common material for tubs. Steel tubs are coated with enamel which makes them look similar to cast iron, but the enamel is prone to chipping off over time. However, steel tubs are much lighter in weight than cast iron.